Sunday, June 29, 2014

Vacation and Panquitch Quilt Walk

We have been gone on a vacation and this was the first time I have been to the Panquitch, UT Quilt Walk. I signed up for one class, an applique class, and I have learned quite a bit.


This is the bronz statue for the Quilt Walk. To see a video of the reason for the Quilt Walk you can click here. It is an inspiring story of those early pioneers.

I took this class in order to learn a new method of applique because I have not been happy with my applique work in the past. I have done machine applique and have done one project with needle turned hearts. I have not been pleased with the results.

Here are some pictures of my progress.


This is a picture of the block along with my set up.


Here I have 3/4 of the work glued on the background fabric and I have started stitching.


This picture shows the second layer to the large flower.


This is a close up of one of the 4 flowers that I have completed. I have all the stems and leaves done also.


This was my start for the bias stems.


This shows how the teacher had us make the bias tape needed for the stems. She had us place 2 large pins spaced just over 1/4 inch from where the pin went into and out of the ironing board. The two pins are an inch apart. I threaded the tape folded in thirds under the two pins and laid the iron on top and gentley pulled the tape thru as I folded the fabric before going thruugh the pins.


This is the other side of the iron with the finished tape. I have enough bias tape for a whole quilt worth of stems.

I am linking up with Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching today. Be sure to hop over and check out all the hand stitching going on today.

6 comments:

  1. Looks great and a class can really help us reach our goal. Isn't making bias stems fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for making bias stems... thanks for sharing that tip! ENjoy your applique! Thanks for linking up to Slow Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking around for an applique to work while watching TV. (That stem making system is genius!)
    Thanks for sharing your pictures. Your block is gorgeous, and I am inspired.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful applique block. Your colors are so bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your applique is very pretty. I hope you liked the class.

    ReplyDelete