Friday, January 4, 2013

Long Time Since I Last Blogged

I have not blogged since the 7th of December. Allot of that had to do with the holidays but it also had to do with the fact that 3 days after I last blogged I was RIFed (Reduction in Force).  I work for the University of Utah and that is a government term.
This was a total surprise and so it has taken me some time to come to terms with that and try to move on.
We are still working on our basement finish and with the holidays I have been able to keep very busy, which is a good thing.
First off, we had a great Christmas.  We celebrate on Christmas Eve with all our kids and grandchildren.
We had 21 over for dinner and our program which also includes caroling. My grandkids like the caroling even better than the food. This was not all of our children and grandchildren. Our oldest son has 7 kids and our only daughter has 4 with one on the way.  They were not able to attend.
I made some potholders and gave them away as Christmas gifts and forgot to take pictures of them.
I have made tremendous progress on the baby quilt.  I have the quilt completely done, a pillow to match and 9 burp pads. I backed this quilt with minky and no batting to try out what I have been reading online for a year. I am OK with it but the quilt feels limp.


I took this picture out in the snow. I am trying different ways to capture the quilts. I learned some of this from  Kathy of Tamarack Shack Longarm Quilting.  She takes great pictures of her quilts.


I know that the burp pads are mostly pink but when I started the quilt my daughter did not want to know boy or girl so we agreed on a yellow and green generic quilt.  After I was about finished she found out it is a girl.  The burp pads in pink are OK for that reason but honestly, I just had more left over pink flannel and she didn't care.

I have also finished the quilting on my granddaughter Katya's birthday quilt.  Her birthday is in April so I am ahead of schedule.


I will have a better picture when the quilt is washed, labeled and ready to give.  I always do a pillow sham to match the quilt or pillowcase to match for the boys. I give these to them the following birthday.  I prepare it now so it is not forgotten and so I don't use up all of the fabric in something else.

I am planning to work on my blog every week now and hope to show more of my quilts and the progress on my new quilting room.

For now I will sign off and wish you a wonderful New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Love the animal quilt and I think yellow is a fun color for any age. Here's wishing you a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete