Friday, June 28, 2013

What I am Working on Now

I have been very busy this week but not all I have been doing is quilting related. I have had 4 interviews this week and I am also working very hard in the yard to get it prepared for the 4th of July Flag Raising that we have every year. Everything we do in the yard from early spring is in preparation for this event.  After that we tend to let the yard go a bit. Hopefully that won't happen this year because I have been able to spend more time in the yard simply because I have not been working.

The three baby quilts are on their way to Primary Children's hospital. Melanie assured me that she would take them up for donation. I like this because these will be helping our local people here in Utah.

I was talking to my husband last week and he expressed that he thought I was using up all my fabric and then I wouldn't have anything to make quilst when we retired. I assured him I had plenty of fabric especially because I am a scrap quilter. But it made me start to think and I realized that my dream was to one day make a quilt out of batik fabrics. I have put off buying because the batik fabrics are so expensive. I order from Connecting Threads online all the time but mostly I get clearance priced fabric by colors that I need and just look at the batik and wish. Well, I took the leap and purchased 3 samplers from them along with 3 yards of black fabric to get over $50 for the free shipping. I love buying fabric this way because I don't have to drive all over the place and take all that time and waste gas to get some fabric.


These are 10" squares. I was very conservative in the size I bought but generous in the number of pieces. I will be very frugal but will totally enjoy these beautiful fabrics.

I have also made progress on the Smith Mountain Morning quilt. I have been cutting and cutting browns and blues for the star block. I have finally finished cutting the brown points.


These are one side of the points.


And these are the other side of the points.

I have cut way more than I need for the points but these are also used in one of the borders.

I have also cut all the small half squares for the center pin wheels for the star block. They finish at 1 1/2 inch.


This is a picture of the quilt from the book.




I have now laid out the blues and have started cutting them for the star block.



I have gathered all my blues and brown fabrics for this quilt but I have not even started on the second block for the quilt. I will keep plodding along with this cutting until I have everything cut out and then will start to sew the blocks together.

Well, I hope you have a great weekend. This is all for now. See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment