Friday, September 14, 2012

Time-Wish I had more of it

Hi Everyone out there,
I have wanted to work on this blog and learn new things all week but with my full time job and a long commute I find I don't have as much time as I would like to work on this blog.

I am not sure where I want to start but I have been thinking about starting from the beginning and show the quilt I made in 2000 for my daughter for her wedding gift.  I didn't actually finish it until just after the wedding because I hand quilted it.  I made it from all the fabric that was left over from making her clothes all her life.  She is going to take some new pictures and send them to me because I don't have any digital pics of it.  I made this from the Quilt in a Day Pioneer Sampler by Eleanor Burns.  This is the first quilt book I ever  purchased.  I purchased it to help me learn how to quilt and it also reminded me of my grandmother's quilting. My grandmother made scrappy quilts for all of her grandchildren and I became very intriqued with the beautiful quilts she made. So I picked this quilting book because of her.

I chose 12 different blocks from the book and made two blocks of each one. One block has fabric from my daughter's clothes and the other one has old left over fabric from anything else I sewed at the time.


I really struggled with matching points and corners and also I wasn't too good with putting fabrics together to have a good contrast.

I did hand quilt this but I stopped hand quillting when the grandbabies were coming so fast that I was scrabbling to get them done.  We have 20 grandchildren now and a new one is coming in January.



This quilt has allot of white and it certainly makes the blocks pop out but I am not so sure I would make it with so much white now.  I guess our tastes change over time.

Jenny sent me some pics of the back but because the fabric is so busy it is hard to see the quilting.


Maybe you can click on the picture and see the quilting better.  She says I quilted around the pattern in each block but not in the sashing or corner stones.  I still have some small bits and pieces of some of the fabrics from this quilt in my stash today.

This post is getting a little long so I will sign off for now but I will try to be a bit better and post more often.

Thanks for coming to visit.

Cindy N.

No comments:

Post a Comment