Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Quilt Kits

Most of my quilts are made either by Bonnie Hunter patterns or my own design. But I have purchased and made two quilt kits. The first was around 2006 when I went to a quilt show here in Utah. I got really taken with the "Meet Me in Paris" quilt by JohnaLee Burk from Panquitch, UT. She has this pattern made up in several different ways and I picked a rose and cream colored kit.
When I purchased this kit I intended it to be for me but about the same time I asked my mother if she would like a quilt for her birthday.  She was very happy about that and when I asked her what color she told me mauve. Then I was showing her this quilt kit and telling her how excited I was about this quilt. She then let me know that this was a beautiful quilt and I quickly understood that she would like this quilt.  Now mind you, this quilt is not mauve but apparently this did not matter.
So I proceeded to make this quilt. It took months to complete and I found a good longarm quilter to quilt it for me. I love quilts with cotton batting not polyester.  My mother does not like cotton batting because that is the only way her mother quilted. So I had to get this quilt done with polyester batting, much to my chagrin.  She loves this quilt! I made her pillow shams to match along with a few throw pillows. She shows it to everyone when they come to her apartment. I was going to take a new picture of this quilt on her bed last week and I even took my camera with me but I forgot to take the picture. So this one will have to due.



I have also purchased another quilt kit called "Colorwash Irish Chain" by HeatherWorksQuilts. This kit was also purchased at the same quilt show a couple of years ago. I guess I should stop going to this quilt show.
This is a beautiful quilt and I choose a blue color. To this day I don't know why I picked that color because I am not particularly fond of blue. I finished this quilt last January and I call it my January quilt. I really don't like this quilt. It is beautiful but it is not scrappy. I really don't like matchy matchy. I love scrappy. I really believe this will be the last quilt kit I will buy.



I custom quilted in the center of the block with the flower and also some very small pebbling. I am pretty happy with the quilting and it does look very striking on the bed.




I love Scrappy!

1 comment: