Friday, November 1, 2013

Look at These Amazing Blocks

I have a friend who has given me some blocks to evaluate to make a couple of quilts. He wants me to tell him how much it would cost and if I will put these blocks together into quilts.


There are 163 hand sewn blocks with original fabric. I am guessing that they are definitely from the 1930's, 1940's and possible from the 1950's.

I sorted them into some rough sections.


Blue on the outside.


Blue on the inside.


Pink on the outside.


Pink on the inside.


Green on the outside.


Green on the inside.


Yellow on the inside.


Yellow on the outside.


Red in the inside.


Purple/Lavender on the inside.

I think you get the idea. I have a few more pictures but this is enough for this post. My problem is that I know that these are a wonderful find. They have original fabrics and are hand sewn. 24 of the blocks are markedly smaller than the rest but the sewer had written that she planned to applique them to 12 inch background squares so if they are scattered over the quilt you would probably not notice the different sizes.

My friend wants a price for putting these together and making the quilts. I have no idea. Also, I think that they should be hand appliqued on the squares not machine appliqued. I know it would take me years to hand applique these onto the squares. What to do? What to do?

I need some advise and help to know what I should tell him.

I have not been able to do much of anything else but some mending in the quilt studio this week.
I will hopefully have more time next week.

1 comment:

  1. Cindy Old quilts or pieces often intimidate a quilter. We are trained to be reverent to the older stuff and put lots of sentimental value on it. BUT the memory is in who started the quilt and did the original piecing, not in how it is finished. Unless someone finishes putting the quilt together, no matter how, then the quilt will not fulfill it's purpose and no one can enjoy it's warmth. Price it the same way you would if you were using brand new off the shelf fabrics. Finish it the same way you would any other UFO from your own closet. Very seldom are old quilt blocks given high retail values. It's the finished quilts that collectors put high value on. Above all, don't underestimate the value of your own work.

    Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete