Saturday, January 25, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge-2nd Post

I thought I was only going to do the 9-patch blocks and the string blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge but I discovered something this week that I decided to try.

I have heard of Craftsy for quite a while now and I know that Leah Day is a teacher on this site. On a blog I was reading this week it was noted that there was a free quilting class on Craftsy so I went to check it out. I read a bit about it and decided to sign up for three free classes. One of the classes was the 2013 BOM Craftsy piecing class and because these blocks are done by the month I decided it would be fun to combine this with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

These are the first two blocks. There are two blocks for each month.


These blocks finish at 12 inches. The first one is Asterisk.


The second one is Wonky Pound Sign.  The teacher shows these very precisely done but I had some trouble getting both of these blocks to line up exactly. I also am not used to making such large blocks. I have been doing Bonnie Hunter quilts for so long that any block bigger than 9 inches finished is a little strange to me.


I am still making progress on the Celtic Solstice mystery quilt from Bonnie Hunter. I am now putting the unit #5 together.


This is taking me quite some time to finish these units but I am enjoying the piecing. I am sewing half square triangles as leader enders between each unit.

I have 1 1/2 rows left of quilting on the Smith Mountain Morning quilt. I will hopefully finish this today and then I need to decide what I am going to use for the binding on this quilt. I want to have this quilt completely finished by next weekend and I will blog about it then and show some pictures of my finished quilt.

 To get back to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge click here.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea Cindy, to combine the 2012 Craftsy BOM with the RSC!! Your blocks are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blocks, and it's fun when you can kill two birds with one stone isn't it. Mind you the wonky pound sign doesn't look much like the pound sign that I know - £. maybe the teacher got her lines crossed!

    ReplyDelete