Saturday, January 18, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge

I have been following Kathy Quilts for quite some time now and have really enjoyed her Slow Sunday Stitching posts. Along the way I have also noticed her Rainbow Scrap Challenge work.
I have wanted to get my scraps under control and I have done quite a bit in that direction since last spring when I was able to move into my new quilt studio. So I have decided to do the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
For the month of January the color is blue and I have made two different blocks to go along with this challenge. I will be making 9-patches and also a string block.
I am not sure just how I will put together the 9-patches but I am going to use the string blocks to make "Basket Weave" from Bonnie Hunter's free patterns on her website Quiltville.
I  am making 10 blocks of each of these for each color of the month. I have finished my blocks for this month and I am excited to find out what color is for February. I think by making just the two different blocks and only 10 of each of them I will not get overwhelmed and quit in the middle of this challenge.
So here we go.


My scrap 2 inch squares from my drawers. So good to get these squares into blocks.



These are all from my strings and and some from my 1 1/2 inch drawer that I am so happy to be using.
Thank you Angela for helping us use up all of our scraps in such a fun way!
To get back to the Rainbow Scrap challenge please click here.

13 comments:

  1. Nice blocks (lovely fabrics!) This is the third year ive taken part in the RSC, so welcome aboard its good fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are joining in and using your scraps. Great start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like your making real progress using those scaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nine-patches are such great blocks for using up scraps, and there are so many possible ways to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blocks. We'll done in reaching your target for this month. I don't even have a target, I'll just wait and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good idea to do string blocks

    ReplyDelete
  7. 9P and Strings are great scrap busters and looks like you've done a lot of scrap busting already!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to RSC... It is so much fun and you are off to a great start! Love your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got some beautiful blue scraps. Making a plan helps keep up with RSC and your's sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty blues~ I see you make lots of Bonnie's quilts. Nice! I love meeting new scrappy quilt lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You picked two great blocks for this challenge. Lots of ideas will pop into your head during the year for using them. Looking forward to watching them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've done great for January blues :) Thanks for the link to the string blocks pattern. That is such a great way to use up all those skinny strips! Look forward to seeing each month progress.

    ReplyDelete