Friday, May 16, 2014

May Flowers

I decided I needed to at least post something this week even though it is not quilting or embroidery related.
I have either been sick or working on the flower beds this past week. I feel bad that I have not made an appearance into the Quilt Studio for a week but when sick I don't feel like it and when not I needed to work on the flower beds.
I do allot of prep work before the yearly Garden Party and this year is not any different. I have 4 different flower beds in the front yard and these need lots of attention each year.


This flower bed has been thoroughly weeded. I need to dig out the dead rose bush this year and plant a new one but other than that this flower bed is ready for the annuals.


This flower bed has always been very poor.It is about 10 years old and I have fought with it all these years to get anything but the tree to grow well. So this year I decided it needed a big change. I cleaned out the weeds, shoveled out a whole bunch of the soil and then put two large bags of soil amendment in. As I dug the soil out I found that there are allot of roots from the tree and this may be part of the problem with this flower bed. So this year I will be planting annuals but I will also plant some ivy and next fall I will plant a large bunch of iris in this flower bed and I hope that this will be a thriving flower bed by next year.


This is the largest flower bed with a nice weeping tree and the flag pole. I have not started the weeding in this flower bed and because I have been sick again this week I will not get started on it until Saturday.  Saturday is the Garden Party. The Garden Party is when our grown children and grand children come to help us get the yard going for the year. This year we will be short some helpers but I hope we will get everything done that needs to be done.

Hopefully next week I will be able to do some sewing in the Quilt Studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment