Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Busy Time of Year

I have been very busy the last few weeks but not necessarily with quilting.



I went and picked up one bushel of peaches and one bushel of pears. The peaches were ready first and I started on them.. My husband Ron helped with these and we were able to finish with them in two days time. We bottled 27 quarts and I saved a few out for just eating.  Don't they look beautiful?


Next the pears were ready and it took me a couple of days to complete the bottling on them. I was able to get 27 quarts but did not keep any out to eat fresh.


Next my daughter and I went to pick up one and a half bushels of tomatoes. We really lucked out and the lady had some very ripe tomatoes for $8 a box.  I was planning to spend $20 a box. A box is half a bushel. We hurried home and juiced 2 boxes that morning and afternoon. We were so happy we went back the next day and picked up 2 more boxes. My share of the tomato juice is 36 quarts.


With a couple of boxes of tomatoes we made tomato soup.  Yummmmy! I got 16 pints which is plenty for me and Jenny got 7 quarts. She took the leftover tomatoes home to make juice or salsa.


These are hers. This soup is very chunky with tomatoes, onions, celery, carrots, barley and garlic. I loved the recipe. I looked online quite a bit to find a recipe that did not puree the ingredients to death. I love chunky. I have bottled some soup just like this about 20 years ago but I had lost the recipe. Now I have found the perfect recipe.
I will be picking up a couple of boxes of apples on Thursday to make apple pie filling to bottle and also I will make jelly.Then I will be finished with bottling for the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment